Wednesday, August 23, 2006

TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED!

MORAL OF THIS STORY- ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.

I know I am getting old-keeping up with Beauty proves it. At 5am(which is not a bad time), Beauty came slamming(no not slammin') out of her bedroom. 5am wake-up calls are not usually that bad but 0-60mph in 2 seconds can really be a shock to the system. So with Beauty in tow I go to the kitchen to get her another Tippee as her night time drink has already been drunk. Whilst making the drink Beauty is going quietly nuts beside me and being an adult I assume that I know the reason why. I assume the 'going nuts' behaviour is because she wants the drink NOW! Oh the arrogance of being an adult who who thinks they now best. On passing the Tippee it instantly becomes a missile that just misses my head, my Le creu set pans and my sink which scratches if you so much as look at it. Legend has it that before you die your life flashes before your eyes well I saw perfectly in a' blink of a Hooby eye' the Tippee connecting with whatever and the lid exploding off-soaking me and the kitchen floor. As I have said before many times, I am not psychic and can not see through my ass(though it is big enough!) and the Tippee came to land upright on a T towel on the draining board!Whew!
Q-So why 0-60 in 2 seconds?
A-Because one of the tapes on her nappy had come undone and she wanted it done backup.
WELL..........she only had to tell me! or better still Beauty is not stupid, she could have done it up herself or even better-forget nappies altogether and just use the toilet!
MORAL OF THE STORY
Aways expect the unexpected and never assume ANYTHING with an Autistic 5 year old.
This reminds me of a book I once read. The Nun's Story which was made into a film starring Audrey Hepburn. I bought the book years ago in a charity shop and I have read it a number of times. The young nun who is recently qualified as a nurse goes to work in a mental health institution in Belgium. The institution is run by the sisters of her order and they have to work day and night shifts so they do not always follow the daytime routine of the convent as they have to sleep after a night shift. The other nuns say that you can tell the ones who are nurses as their eyes are always darting around, a habit from taking care of unpredictable patients.
One night the young nurse goes on duty and looks through the glass door of the ward to see a fellow nurse 'asleep' at the nurses station. Not wanting to get the nun into trouble she rattles the door and makes a noise before entering but the nun does not wake up as she is dead with a knife in her back. The other nun had probably fallen asleep for a few seconds and forgotten her Guide promise about being prepared(or is that Scouts?) As a nurse, working nights, I was never able to sit unless my back was to a wall. Nothing ever happened but that book had scared me into a state of preparedness, thankfully my book was like Holby City and Casualty, never like that in real life.

No comments:

MISSY

MISSY
BEAUTY

MAMMA BLOGGING ABOUT BEAUTY AND HER SISTERS


An Irish Blessing

(A Blessing from St. Patrick)
May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

May the rains fall soft upon your fields,

And, until we meet again,

May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.