Friday, October 06, 2006

NEWS, VIEWS AND PIE!


WOULD A 200 YEAR OLD SET OF FALSE TEETH BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE?
LET ME SEE ! NO!
These are the false teeth recently found at the St Pancras graveyard when work was being done for the new Euro tunnel station.Yes they may be disgusting but the work on them is amazing for 200 years ago, they were believed to have been made by the top Parisian dentist Nicholas de Chemant.

Years ago I remember reading a report about the history of the implementation of child benefit and how when it was first suggested certain people(well off and out of touch) made the comment that such a benefit would only encourage the lower classes to have more children. Let me see, would the promise of a pittance a week encourage me to go through childbirth and the years of child rearing? I really don't think so.
Yet I read about a similar argument allegedly being proposed by a group of parents from Manchester in regard to the implementation of vaccine to be given to 11>12 year old girls against the human papillomavirus which causes cervical cancer. The parents are alleged to have said in a study that they felt this vaccine might encourage under-age sex as they may think it gives them security against sexually transmitted diseases. WHAT!
When I first saw the title of this article I thought,'Brilliant-I would definitely want my girls to have that vaccine' and then I read the rest of the article and I thought ,'Do they really think that young girls are so stupid'. To have a vaccine like that, at their age , all the possibilities would have to be discussed with them to protect the girls and the medical staff giving the vaccine. I would love to see how that study was done and see how the researchers got those kind of answers, what questions were asked and how they were asked. I thought health care today was supposed to be all about education and prevention. The best time to vaccinate for this is when they are of school age, when all the other vaccinations are being given. When do the parents in the study think it would be a good age to vaccinate for this? When they are 16,18,21,when they marry(I'm sure Mr Bush would go with that one),30,40 or when they get the cervical cancer! Let me see!
I once read a report which discussed the death penalty as a deterrent for the crime of murder and it was found to be no deterrent at all. I do not believe that any women who had been vaccinated against the human papilloma virus would think,'it is ok now because I am safe', they know that it doesn't protect against AIDS so what difference does it make as far as thoughts about protection from infection go? Giving this vaccine is the perfect opportunity for schools to teach in the Personal and Social Health classes about protection and relationships.

I'm sorry but I seem to be on a roll today about news reports, this one has pi**ed me off the most. I'm sure you have read this one, it the Jack Straw story. He feels th facial expressions are concealed and so the meaning of what is being said is not obvious. Ok, I can go with that but facial expression isn't everything if it were then the police would have an easier time being able to convict people. I remember when Anastasia was younger she was addicted to 'NEIGHBOURS' and every day when she came home she would say,'What happened in Neighbours' today and after a while it can become just a little tiresome so one day with a deadpan face and a perfectly normal voice I said, 'There was an explosion, everyone was blown up and the series has finished', now I feel awful for saying it because she really believed me and she was devestated and after all the explosions in recent years I would neverat the wearing of the veil prevents proper communication because say it again, However when she realised I was joking she laughed and said'you bi*ch'. I now have a reputation amongst my children for saying things and them not believing me as I do it so well. I remember telling them Scarey Spice was going to marry Eddie Murphy and all they said was,'you liar'. That was true(allegedly) according to the news.
I personally would not want to wear a veil of any kind and I fully understand that it is a social thing rather than a religious thing but it is the choice of the woman if she wants to wear it and if she wants to wear it then her choice should be upheld and supported. In Iraq after the fall of Saddam more Burqas were sold than ever before because the women were able to go out more and choose their own. Jack Straw is sending out the message that he would be happier if the women who visited him at his constituencey office removed their veil when talking to him. Has he thought that this might prevent women attending his office as these women may feel that they might lose respect in their community if they are known to have removed their veil in front of a man. Even just being seen attending his office may make people assume that they have removed their veil even if they haven't. So what are they to do?





Still trying to save money on meals, this one has vege mince and vegetables inside and I loved it. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I thought it was brilliant with gravy.











I also made sundried tomato and parmesan cheese bread.













THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN!

The builders are back and they are here to make a door between the back room and the middle room.

No comments:

MISSY

MISSY
BEAUTY

MAMMA BLOGGING ABOUT BEAUTY AND HER SISTERS


An Irish Blessing

(A Blessing from St. Patrick)
May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

May the rains fall soft upon your fields,

And, until we meet again,

May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.