Thursday, June 21, 2007

RAINDROPS ON ROSES AND WHISKERS ON KITTENS

Memories are the strangest things! I have a really bad memory but occasionally it seems to go in to overload and I can't stop being reminded of things. they say that all the senses can be responsible for prompting memories but I have to say that today's plethora of memories were all produced by plain old sight.
Whilst washing and dressing Beauty this morning I brushed her hair and tied it into one long plait down her back. Her hair was a very short bob when she started school but now it is almost down to her butt. Whilst I was plaiting it I was reminded of a girl who sat across from me in the grammar school when I was 11 years old, this girl had the thickest,shiniest, blackest hair you could imagine and it was absolutely beautiful and I was envious of it. This girl was part of the ELITE(The Mean Girls) in my class but she wasn't mean at all, she was a lovely girl. The actual Mean Girls were MEAN all the time and made you feel like poo. Everybody used to wish that they could be friends with them but looking back I realise they had nothing that I would now want. The girl with the black hair and I were never personal friends but I always liked her and she was always friendly to me. She became a nurse and died of cervical cancer in her 30's and when I heard I was really saddened.

I was deciding what to wear this morning and decided on knee length shorts, a shirt and my CROCS. Nothing unusual about shorts as it is June..........however it seems to have been raining for the last week and shorts and CROCS wouldn't normally be the first choice on a rainy day. Not so. When I was 16(is that really 30 years ago?) I did a pre-nursing course in the Rhondda Valley in Llwynypia and I remember in the winter term it rained a lot and on the days it rained we would never wear trousers, we always wore skirts as the trousers would have got soaked. 30 years......wow I feel old. So I chose the shorts today because it may be raining but it is still quite warm, when I got home I was very slightly wet but that was all. The thought of wet jeans-yuk!

And for the final memory........I was putting on make-up ready to go out and I had a vivid memory of my mother in the1960's always putting on her red lip stick before she went out. In the 60's lip stick was the single most important item of makeup, today for me I would say it was mascara(I have white eyelashes!) . I have very pale skin and due to lack of smoking, drinking and lots of sun screen it seems to have faired quite well and I have had no real need to wear any make up daily apart from mascara. However in the last year I have found that by using a little pressed powder my skin looks 200% better and I only use the transparent shade. I have Rosacea which seems to be the 'curse of the Celts',
It begins as erythema (flushing and redness) on the central face and across the cheeks, nose, or forehead
Rosacea affects both sexes, but is almost three times more common in women, and has a peak age of onset between 30 and 60.

Which basically means that I am getting old!
It seems that certain antibiotics can help but if I can live without them I will. It's not too bad and a light dusting of make up seems to cover most of it.
I had quite pink cheeks the day of my profile picture but at least they are not hideously red.

Amazingly Beauty slept for 9 hours last night! when I finally persuaded her to get into bed at 11pm she fell asleep and was happily snoring in less that a minute and then she didn't want to get up this morning and I had to drag her out of bed at 8 am. Sounds like a typical child to me!
Beauty loved the rain this morning and tried to catch the raindrops with her tongue and her fingers.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Memories are a great source of individual comfort I always feel... not so much about what was as what you were. They reconnect you with yourself. I keep having dreams about my childhood home at the moment - I'm not sure why. I certainly don't feel unhappy or wistful for the old days but it's still comofrting to be reminded of things past.

MISSY

MISSY
BEAUTY

MAMMA BLOGGING ABOUT BEAUTY AND HER SISTERS


An Irish Blessing

(A Blessing from St. Patrick)
May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

May the rains fall soft upon your fields,

And, until we meet again,

May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.