Friday, June 22, 2007

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Yesterday I went to the doctors surgery to pick up a prescription for anti-inflammatory medication( arthritis and all that!) and as I walked over to the chemist to fill the prescription I passed a mother taking her little one home from nursery school. The little boy was in the middle of a conversation and I heard him say, 'you know, the girl with the brown face on her' and the mother immediately looked embarrassed and start shouting that he shouldn't be saying that. No explanation just a lot of shouting. I did feel sorry for the little boy because he had meant no offense at all and the mother could easily have said something like' Oh that's not nice, the little girl might be upset by what you said'. I actually thought his personal observation was fine and showed no meanness but it was just a description. I sometimes think we are too PC and cause more problems by pushing PC views onto little children. I personally feel that racism is very wrong and taught my children this from a very young age . Belle and Anastasia both had best friends when they were little who were the children of African Americans serving at Greenham Common airbase in the 80's and I know for sure that Snowhite was totally unaware that her friends skin colour was different to her own or a problem.
I remember being shocked in the early 80's that people started to use the term BLACK (to describe skin colour)in the UK , I was shocked because I didn't want these people to be upset by the reference. How times change!
As I have said before, I remember how as a nation we were shocked by John McEnroe's Mother.............. in the 1970's and now look at us(or listen to us)! I show my age when I use the terms plonker and wally, I know I use them because I don't want to hurt peoples feelings when I insult their bad driving-silly moo.

When I went into the chemist my desire to shout HE GETS it(from Two Pints of Lager) almost seriously got me into trouble. A grandmother with her daughter and grandson were waiting for a prescription and were looking at the things in the shop. The grandson was about 18 months and toddling around looking at things, well every time the grandson went near something(not touching) the grand mother would yell NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO .........................DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T .
I felt a huge desire to yell at the grand mother NO what? and Don't what repeatedly.
She repeated her NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO .........................DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T so much that on leaving the chemist my nerves were so frayed that I felt in desperate need of drugs.
I don't take Beauty to the chemist any more as on the last 2 occasions that we visited together she fell asleep on the floor in the shop by the till and getting her back to the car was a mammoth task. I am also not too keen on her being there when punters have their daily dose of methadone as a number of them have been a little worse for wear from their other drug of choice-alcohol. As a nurse who trained initially as a mental health nurse I am all for treatments like methadone, I just think that giving it out so visibly in a chemist is an issue not just for me but for the punters. A little bit of discretion would go a long way in this kind of situation.

No comments:

MISSY

MISSY
BEAUTY

MAMMA BLOGGING ABOUT BEAUTY AND HER SISTERS


An Irish Blessing

(A Blessing from St. Patrick)
May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

May the rains fall soft upon your fields,

And, until we meet again,

May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.